What can be better than carrot cake?
VEGAN CARROT CAKE CUPCAKES! That’s what!
Whenever I am not testing and preparing recipes for my regular videos, I try to test and create vegan ones!
As many of you may know I do practice veganism.
Pretty much the only time I do not, is at the end of my videos where I take a bite of whatever dessert I have made.
For the most part it is quite easy to convert any recipe to a vegan one.
I recently had the opportunity to convert my carrot cake recipe for my cousins birthday, since carrot cake is her all time favorite dessert!
I didn’t tell anyone they were vegan however until after the rave reviews starting pouring in! Hehehehe 😉
I topped each cupcake with vegan cream cheese icing, and well…..let’s just say there are now a few NEW believers that vegan is indeed ~ delicious!
For those who don’t care to follow a vegan recipe for whatever reason, you can of course make cupcakes from my amazing Tropical Carrot Cake and ice with traditional Cream Cheese Icing recipe!
Vegan Carrot Cake Recipe
Author: Gretchen's Bakery
- Almond Oil (or any vegetable oil of your choice) 1cup + 2 Tablespoons (260ml)
- All Purpose Flour 1½ Cups (195g)
- Cake Flour ¾ cup (90g)
- Baking Powder 1½ teaspoons (7g)
- Baking Soda 1½ teaspoons (7g)
- Salt ¾ teaspoon
- Ground Cinnamon 1 Tablespoon (15g)
- Granulated Sugar ¾ cup (150g)
- Light Brown Sugar ¾ cup (158g)
- Ground Flax Seeds 8 Tablespoons (56g)
- Almond Milk 12 Tablespoons (180g)
- Vanilla Extract 1 Tablespoon (15ml)
- Carrots Shredded from 5 medium carrots approx 2½ cups (300g)
- Pecans ground fine 1½ cup
- Zest of 1 Orange
- In a large mixing bowl combine the ground flax and the almond milk. Set aside for about 5 minutes until thickened. These are called flax eggs.
- Meanwhile in another bowl sift together the flours, cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda and salt together.
- To the flax "eggs" add both sugars, the oil, vanilla extract and zest of orange. Whisk everything well to incorporate to a smooth mixture.
- Shred the carrots and chop the pecans (I like mine finely ground) and add to the sugar / oil mixture.
- Add the sifted dry ingredients to the liquid mixture all at once and stir to combine well.
- Portion batter into cupcake liners and bakery from approximately 25-30 minutes or Until They Are Done
Carrot cake can be kept at room temperature for up to 4 days wrapped in an airtight container. Or frozen for up to 1 month wrapped well.
Now for the building on recipes!
Vegan Carrot Cake Cupcakes
Author: Gretchen's Bakery
- Cool cupcakes completely before icing with vegan cream cheese icing
Cream cheese icing topped cupcakes must be kept refrigerated for up to 1 week in an airtight container
I used my XL cake Decorating Kit
to ice the cupcakes as shown in the picture with the #826 Ateco Tip
Flax eggs are ground flax seeds steeped in alternative milk or water to thicken. 2 Tablespoon flax + 3 tablespoons water (or almond milk) = 1 egg
For those wanting to use real eggs- omit the flax and almond milk from the recipe below, add 2 eggs and proceed as normal
HAPPY BIRTHDAY CUZ!
That’s me and my cousin Carrie!
(I was so proud of her! LOL)