Your quest for the perfect White Cake recipe is over! Yes, you have found it right here.
I love this cake so much.
It is light but dense at the same time if that makes any sense.
Almost like a pound cake but sort of spongy and airy too!
It has great structure to hold up to almost any décor, (yes for under fondant) and for carving cake creations and it’s great for stacking in a wedding cake or for cupcakes!
Quite possibly one of my most versatile recipes!
The whiteness is because we are not adding egg yolks, and with that omission of fat you may think this cake would be dry, NOT SO!
The whole milk and amount of butter in this recipe is a great balance and you will not miss those egg yolks!
Preheat oven to 350° F
Grease 2- 8" Pans with Pan Grease or line 24 cupcakes liners
If you are making cupcakes fill only half way
- All Purpose Flour 1½ cup (195g)
- Cake Flour 1½ cup (180g)
- Baking Powder 1 Tablespoon (15g)
- Salt 1 teaspoon (6g)
- Unsalted Butter 2 sticks (226g)
- Granulated Sugar 2 cups (400g)
- Vanilla Extract *use clear if available 2 teaspoons
- Egg Whites 7 (1 cup) (210g)
- Whole Milk 1 cup (237ml)
- Cream the butter with the sugar until light a fluffy, approximately 5 minutes on high speed.
- In a medium bowl combine the egg whites, milk and vanilla extract together and reserve.
- Meanwhile in another bowl, sift together the Baking Powder, Salt with the All Purpose and Cake flours.
- Once the butter and sugar has been creamed sufficiently, you will add in about ⅓ of the sifted dry ingredients to the creamed butter mixture
- Next add milk /egg white mixture slowly while continuing to mix on low speed. Stop the mixer to scrape down the sides of your bowl to ensure you are always incorporating the ingredients evenly.
- Once the liquid has been absorbed, you will now go back to your dry ingredients with another addition, repeat with the remaining liquid in the same fashion, and then the last addition of dry ingredients until you have mixed in all the ingredients to a smooth, silky white cake batter.
- Pour immediately into prepared pans
- Bake in preheated 350° F oven for approximately 30- 40 minutes or until done