This apple filling recipe is more than just a filling.
This recipe originally came from my Hot Apple Pie Recipe which was aptly named due to the style of cooking the filling before piling it into the pie shell…..but that is for another day, because today we are making this filling specifically for the Caramel Apple Cake.
Yes folks, cinnamon apple layer cake filled with sweet cinnamon apple filling, caramel buttercream and more caramel poured over top!
So if you stumbled onto this apple filling recipe and said, “what the heck would I ever do with this?”
Wonder no more…because I just opened up a whole world of apple bliss!
Now only one question remains: Which recipe will you make first!??
- Water ½ cup (120ml)
- Granulated Sugar ¼ cup (50g)
- Ground Cinnamon 1 teaspoon (2g)
- Granulated Sugar 2 Tablespoons (25g)
- Cornstarch 2 tablespoons (20g)
- Water 2 Tablespoons (30ml)
- Diced Apples peeled and cored 1½ cups (approximately 2 medium apples) (200g)
- Boil the first 3 ingredients together
- Prepare a slurry with the other sugar , cornstarch and water
- Add the slurry to the boiling mixture and whisk continuously while it thickens.
- Add the diced apples and turn heat to medium-low, simmer for about 5 minutes until slightly tender
- Transfer to a container and allow to cool before using in a cake, or use as a hot topping for ice cream or other desserts