Wait a minute! It’s not April Fools day!
But this new dessert for Apple Tacos sure can pass for a great prank!
I have to be honest when I took my first bite my mind wanted to taste real tacos, and for a split second I feel like I almost did!
But then came the sweet cinnamon apples and raspberry “tomatoes”. That hefty portion of “guacamole” came through as a burst of Green Tea Ice Cream and oh wow what a combination!
Don’t forget the shredded cheese…. er..umm… I mean~ Shaved Chocolate!!
You seriously do not need much time or ingredients to pull off these whimsical little desserts!
Old El Paso makes the mini tortilla boats and pretty much everything else you probably already have in your pantry! (The link for the tortillas is for a visual, just so you know what to look for, I doubt anyone really wants to buy a case of them from amazon! LOL) I found them in the taco aisle in my local supermarket.
This can easily be made VEGAN simply by using a vegan ice cream and vegan white chocolate.
- For the Apple FIlling:
- Water ½ cup (120ml)
- Granulated Sugar ¼ cup (50g)
- Ground Cinnamon 1 teaspoon (2g)
- Granulated Sugar 2 Tablespoons (25g)
- Cornstarch 2 tablespoons (20g)
- Water 2 Tablespoons (30ml)
- Diced Apples peeled and cored 1½ cups (approximately 3 medium apples) (200g)
- For the Tortillas:
- 1 Package of 12 Mini Tortilla Boats
- Cinnamon Sugar *as needed (you can just mix cinnamon with sugar to your liking)
- For the Garnishes:
- 1 cup Raspberries
- 2 ounces white chocolate
- 2 ouncescube fondant for glazing *or make a sugar glaze with confectioners sugar and water
- 1 pint Green Tea Ice Cream
- Boil the first 3 ingredients together
- Prepare a slurry with the other measure of sugar , cornstarch and the second measure of water
- Add the slurry to the boiling mixture and whisk continuously while it thickens.
- Add the diced apples and turn heat to medium-low, simmer for about 5 - 10 minutes until slightly tender to your liking.
- Meanwhile coat the tortilla boats with coconut oil spray (or any spray oil you prefer) then coat them with cinnamon sugar and bake in a preheated 350°F oven for approximately 5-8 minutes or to desired crispness
- Cool the apple filling completely before assembling the tacos as shown in the video tutorial!
- Have Fun!