I have to warn you, this recipe for Banana Streusel Coffeecake is dangerous.
If you do not have an exit strategy for getting rid of this cake you will be in big trouble.
I suggest to call a friend or a family member ahead of time to arrange for its’ pickup so you are not left alone with it in the house! LOL
I honestly don’t remember much, except that when I came to my senses, half of the cake was gone with no signs of how it happened.
I did indeed have a stomachache though, since no one is really supposed to eat an entire half coffeecake in once sitting…………are they?
I sent the rest with my friend back to Vermont! Thankfully!
But from what I was told, she and her daughter fought over the last piece before they got to Massachusetts!
- All Purpose Flour 1 cup (130g)
- Light Brown Sugar ¾cup (158g)
- Salt ¼ teaspoon
- Ground Cinnamon ¼ teaspoon
- Unsalted Butter COLD 6 Tablespoons (85g)
- Cut the cold butter into cubes the size of peas
- Cream all the ingredients together until it resembles crumbly wet sand
- Freeze until ready to use.
Preheat oven to 375° F
Make sure all ingredients are at room temperature before mixing
- All Purpose Flour 2 cups (260g)
- Baking Powder 1 teaspoon (5g)
- Baking Soda 1 teaspoon (5g)
- Unsalted Butter ½ cup (1 stick) (112g)
- Granulated Sugar 1 cup (200g)
- Salt 1½ teaspoons (7g)
- Eggs large 2 (100g)
- Vanilla Extract 2 teaspoons
- Ripe Bananas medium sized 3 (approx 335g)
- Buttermilk ½ cup (120ml)
- Miniature chocolate chips 1 cup (150g)
- Toasted Pecans ¾ cup (85g)
- Cream the butter and sugar together on medium to high speed for about 5 minutes or until light and fluffy, scraping the bowl as necessary.
- Combine the eggs with the vanilla extract and whisk together. Slowly add the egg / vanilla mixture to the butter / sugar mixture while beating on low- medium speed. Scrape bowl to ensure no lumps remain while blending in the rest of the egg.
- Add the mashed ripe bananas and mix well.
- Sift together the flour, baking powder and soda and salt and add to the mixer, beat on low speed to combine well.
- Add the buttermilk slowly while mixing on medium speed.
- Add the chocolate chips and pecans, mix to blend.
- Pour batter into prepared pan and then top with frozen streusel.
- Bake for approximately 45 to 50 minutes or until a cake tester comes out clean.
- Cool completely before slicing
Store in refrigerator for longer shelf life
Baked cake can be frozen for up to 1 month