This black cherry compote recipe is specifically for making my Black Forest Cake.
However you can use this for many other applications like toppings for cheesecakes or ice cream or even as a filling for any cake you can dream up!
Probably one of my most requested cakes here at Gretchen’s Bakery is the Black Forest Cake.
Black Forest Cake has been a long time favorite of mine in the cakes department!
So whatever brings you to this recipe whether it is for Cherry Shortcakes, Ice Cream toppings or just because, you will be happy you got here because this is a real winner!
I couldn’t stop eating it with a spoon! I hope I have enough for my cake! LOL
- Fresh Cherries pitted 1½ lbs (600g)
- Granulated Sugar ¼ cup (50g)
- Kirshwasser or brandy 2 teaspoons *optional
- Place the pitted cherries and sugar into a heavy bottomed sauce pot, cover and cook over low heat stirring occasionally to prevent scorching
- Cook for about 15 - 20 minutes or until the fruit has started to break down slightly.
- You will notice a sauce begins to form and it is getting thickened as the cherries cook down
- Remove from heat and add the kirsh or other liquor.
Store in an airtight container for up to 1 week in the refigerator or freeze for 6 months