Attention Everyone: Black Chocolate Cake for Halloween is going to change your life.
Believe me I will be making this cake as my go to chocolate cake recipe from now until the end of time.
I am sincerely IN LOVE.
I have actually had this cake recipe in my “recipes to test file” for well over 15 years by now.
I am not sure exactly where I acquired it along my pastry cheffin’ journey and strangely never tried it~ until now!
I am so glad I did though (but sad I waited so long! I can’t believe I’ve been missing out on this for so long!) But better late than never is what I always say!
This cake is seriously moist, I have never had another cake that is better than this!
And what better way to pop those vibrant buttercream colors than up against a deep dark black chocolate cake?
Needless to say it isn’t just for Halloween, but since Trick or Treat day is right around the corner;
Let’s wait not another minute longer! As I know this will become your all time favorite chocolate cake!
And oh yeah, two more things to add to the excitement~ it’s VEGAN! and your don’t need a mixer!
So whether you are vegan or not~ I promise you will love it!
I use Gel Paste Food Colors to make vibrant colors for my buttercream
- For the Cake
- All Purpose Flour 1½ cups + 3 Tablespoons (212g)
- Granulated Sugar ¾ cup (150g)
- Salt ½ teaspoon (3g)
- Baking Powder 1½ teaspoon (6g)
- Baking Soda 1½ teaspoons (6g)
- Coconut Oil 7 Tablespoons (98g)
- Boiling Water 1½ cup (360ml)
- Dutch Process or Natural Cocoa Powder ¾ cup (70g)
- Ground Flax Seeds 6 Tablespoons (48g)
- Hot Water 9 Tablespoons (135ml)
- Vanilla Extract 2 teaspoons (10ml)
- 1 Recipe Vegan Vanilla Buttercream of your choice Aquafaba or Regular
- Combine ground flax seed with the 9Tbs of hot water and whisk smooth
- Let stand for at least 5 minutes or up to 30 minutes to thicken to a paste
- Combine the flour, sugar, salt, baking powder & soda together in a large mixing bowl
- Combine the coconut oil, 1½ cup boiling water and cocoa powder together and whisk smooth
- Add the cocoa mixture and the flax eggs mixture along with the vanilla extract to the flour mixture and whisk smooth
- Pour batter into 3 greased and parchment lined cake pans and bake immediately in a preheated 350°F oven for approximately 22 - 25 minutes or until the layers are springy to the touch when you gently press the centers
- Cool cakes in the pan then flip them out onto a cooling rack to cool completely while you prepare the buttercream recipe of your choice
Refrigerate for longer storage covered so it wont dry out (about1 week to 9days~ but I promise it wont last that long!)
You can freeze the cake layers for longer storage (up to 1 month wrapped well)