I should preface this blog post by saying that this Black Forest Cake I am sharing with you, is the American version Black Forest Cake!
This is not the authentic German version that is loaded up with Kirshwasser infused cherries, Kirsh flavored whipped cream and a drunken simple syrup to soak the cake layers.
Now please let me be clear that I am not at all knocking the authentic German version by any means…after all it is a classic cake; a most famous and delectable dessert enjoyed by…….. ADULTS!
I have learned over the years as baker /owner of a retail bakery and as pastry chef/ blogger here on the internet, that there are many more people who DO NOT like alcohol in their desserts as opposed to the people who do like a little “toddy” now and then.
So in the interest of preparing a cake that most people will actually make and eat, I am going to show the American version today.
I am however going to be using small amounts of Kirshwasser in the black cherry compote, the whipped cream and the simple syrup, but you can of course leave it out of everything completely with no substitutions.
All you die hard pastry passion-istas……. cover your eyes! It’s about to get deliciously sacrilegious up in here!
- 1 Recipe Chocolate Cake (baked into 3-8" layers)
- 2 Recipes Whipped Cream (1/3 will be made into chocolate whipped cream)
- ¼ Recipe Ganache
- 1 Recipe Black Cherry Compote
- ¼ Recipe Simple Syrup
- Cherrry Juice 2 - 4 tablespoons *optional
- Kirshwasser 3 Tablespoons or to your taste *optional
- Chocolate Shavings for garnish
- Fresh Cherries for garnish
- Bake cake layers and be sure they are fully cooled before beginning to build the cake (I keep mine in the freezer until I am ready to build)
- Prepare all base recipes except the whipped cream as far as 1 week in advance or as directed for the storage on each recipe
- Prepare whipped cream only when all base recipes are ready and add 1 Tablespoon of Kirsh at the last stage of whipping.
- Take out ⅓ of the entire amount of whipped cream and add the melted cooled chocolate ganache.
- Add the other 2 tablespoons of Kirsh and 2 tablespoons of cherry juice to the Simple Syrup
- Fill the cake layers brushed with the infused cherry simple syrup and then fill with chocolate whipped cream and black cherry compote.
- Ice cake with remaining regular whipped cream
- garnish with chocolate shavings and fresh cherries.