Oh caramel! How I love you so!
This Caramel Apple Cake is one way to showcase just how much we love love love caramel!
If you have not yet decided on what cake to make for the next big event~ trust me you will win with this one!
I have taken my delicious Browned Butter Carrot Cake Recipe and replaced the carrots with APPLES!
Apple Pie Filling and Caramel Swiss Buttercream …….do I really have to say another word?
I will admit this is an intense recipe in that we have to prepare so many Base Recipes before even thinking about building this cake.
But no one ever said that achieving greatness was an easy task!
Let’s get to it!
Oh by the way, I get a lot of questions about my apple wedges here. It would be wise to soak them in a bit of lemon water to prevent browning.
They will still oxidize though after a full day though, so for longer storage of this cake you will do much better with Dried Apple Slices for garnish
Building on Recipes so get your base recipes prepared ahead of time
- First you must prepare the apple cake recipe first, and this cake can be prepared several days in advance, just be sure to wrap well and freeze until you are ready to build the layer cake
- Prepare the caramel sauce as per the instructions on that recipe as well. Once refrigerated the caramel sauce will get slightly solid, so it is best to bring it to room temperature to soften to pourable for several hours before building your cake.
- Prepare the Swiss Buttercream as per the instructions on that recipe and add 1 cup of cooled caramel sauce at the last stage of mixing.
- Prepare the apple filling and cool to cold.
- Assemble cake as per the video instruction.
Refrigerate for up to 7 days or freeze for 1 month