Wow, whoever would have thought that by changing the name of my best moist chocolate cake to Chocolate Buttermilk Cake and by changing 1 ingredient in the original Best Moist Chocolate Cake recipe (from my past life) would cause this much confusion!
This is the same recipe guys! Just revamped slightly for this new era!
Originally the recipe called for yogurt or sour cream thinned out with some milk; where this one now says buttermilk.
That’s all. Nothing else is different!
But you can feel free to change back to yogurt or sour cream as you wish, since those ingredients are quite interchangeable in a recipe like this, see below for the variation.
So moist and dare I say, “fudgy”?
You will not need another recipe after you try this one!
The cocoa powder used here is Natural (like good ol’ Hershey’s brand) not Dutched Process Click the link to see why Dutched Process is not always better!
Coffee is a wonderful substitute for the hot water here
- Semi Sweet Baking Chocolate 113g (¾ cup) 4 ounces
- Natural Cocoa Powder ¼ cup (23g)
- HOT water ½ cup (120ml)
- Unsalted Butter *very soft 12 tablespoons (169g)
- Whole Eggs 5 large (250g)
- Granulated Sugar 1 cup (200g)
- Vanilla Extract 1 Tablespoon
- Buttermilk 1 cup (237ml)
- All Purpose Flour ¾ cup (98g)
- Cake Flour 1 cup (120g)
- Baking Soda 7 g (1½ teaspoons)
- Salt 3g (½ teaspoon)
- Place the bowl of your Kitchen Aid mixer over a double boiler and add the eggs and sugar and mix well to dissolve the sugar and also heat the eggs to about 115°F
- Once the sugar feels dissolved and the eggs are very warm (not hot) place bowl on the Kitchen Aid mixer with the whip attachment and whip on medium to high speed until ribbon stage. Approximately 5 minutes.
- In the meantime while the eggs are whipping you can sift together the flour, baking soda and the salt and set that aside.
- In another bowl add the cocoa powder to the hot water and vanilla and whisk it smooth.
- Add the melted chocolate and very soft butter to the cocoa mixture, whisk smooth (it should look like ganache)
- At this point your eggs should be ready, and you will add the entire melted chocolate/cocoa powder mixture to the whipped egg mixture, and mix until it is all uniform, just about 30 seconds more on high speed.
- Next we begin alternating the dry ingredients with the buttermilk, beginning with the dry ingredients and ending with the dry. (DRY-LIQUID-DRY-LIQUID-DRY)
- Mixing just until incorporated and stop to scrape the sides of your bowl from time to time too.
- Bake at 350° F UNTIL ITS DONE
- For the 8" layers it will be about 30-40 minutes, and cupcakes 20-30 minutes
Many people are asking about my White Chocolate Cake that I shared from my past life.
So be sure to click the link to go check out that recipe!
Original Best Moist Chocolate Cake Recipe
- Semi Sweet Baking Chocolate 113g (3/4 cup)
- Unsweetened Cocoa Powder 24g (4 Tablespoons)
- HOT water 4 fl oz (1/2 cup)
- SOFT Butter 169g (12 Tablespoons)
- Whole Eggs room temperature 200g (4 Large)
- Yolks room temperature 36g (2 large)
- Sugar 200g (1 cup) Vanilla X ½ fl oz (1 Tablespoon)
- Yogurt 123g (1/2 cup)
- Milk 4 fl oz (1/2 cup)
- All Purpose Flour 225g (1¾ cup)
- Baking Soda 7 g (1½ teaspoons)
- Salt 3g (1/2 teaspoons)
- Same mix method as above recipe