This Coconut Sponge Cake recipe is a spin-off from my original Vanilla Sponge cake.
Packed with coconutty goodness, the added coconut extract and coconut milk really take this cake over the top!
The building on recipes ideas are endless with this one!
Be sure to check out what I did with this recipe~ I turned it into a Lemon Coconut Layer Cake!
- Eggs large 4 (200g)
- Granulated Sugar 1 cup (200g)
- Cake Flour 1½ cups (180g)
- All Purpose Flour ½ cup (65g)
- Baking Powder 2 teaspoons (10g)
- Salt 1 teaspoon (6g)
- Unsalted Butter 1 stick (113g)
- Canned Coconut Milk 1 cup (237ml)
- Vanilla Extract 1 teaspoon (5ml)
- Coconut Extract 2 teaspoons (10ml)
- Sweetened Flake Coconut 1¼ cup (112g)
- Whip the warmed eggs on high speed and gradually add the granulated sugar until ribbon stage (about 5 minutes)
- Melt the butter then add the coconut milk and extract, keep warm (or reheat to 120°F before adding to the recipe as follows)
- Add the sifted flour, baking powder and salt all at once to the ribbon stage eggs and sugar and blend on low speed to combine.
- Prepare a liaison with about 1½ cups of the batter and the melted butter and coconut milk as shown on the video, then add it back to the main batter with the coconut and fold to combine well.
- Bake in preheated 350° oven for approximately 35-45 minutes or until it is springy to the touch when gently pressed in the center