Cranberry Cheesecake on a Thanksgiving table (or any fall desserts buffet table) is a beautiful sight.
Bright red cranberry compote loaded on top of a creamy decadent cheesecake!
I love the flavor combination too, since the tartness of the cranberries blends perfectly with the creaminess of the cheesecake!
For those who normally don’t like cranberry (because let’s face it, it’s not the most popular flavor!) I urge you to try this!
C’mon guys! Give some love to those luscious cranberries!
They get a bad rap!
This is a building on recipes project since we have 2 recipe going on here, whether you prepare the cheesecake first or the compote it doesn’t make too much difference.
So here are the recipes!
Have fun and ENJOY!
- Fresh (Or Frozen) Cranberries 12 ounce Bag (336g)
- Granulated Sugar 1½ cup (300g)
- Cranberry Juice ½ cup (115g) (120ml)
- Red or White Wine OR Water ½ cup (115g) (120ml) **You can replace the wine with water if you do not use alcohol in your cooking
- Vanilla Bean 1 (or extract 2 teaspoons add last)
- Star Anise 4 pods (or 1 teaspoon ground anise)
- Cinnamon Stick 1 (or 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon)
- Zest and Juice from 1 Orange
- In a heavy bottom sauce pot, combine all the liquids with the sugar and spices and bring to a boil over high heat.
- Add the cranberries and then return to a boil.
- Lower the temperature to a simmer for 10 -20 minutes, the sauce will begin to thicken and the berries will begin to pop.
- Discard the anise pods,vanilla bean pod and cinnamon sticks.
- *I did not mention in the video that I squeezed the juice of that orange in at this point! Yumm!
- transfer to a storage container and cool to cold - it will thicken as it cools.
- Pile on top of your cooled cheesecake (recipe follows)
Or- Pour the sauce into a storage container with a lid and refrigerate for up to 3 weeks to use as a side dish.
- Cream Cheese 24 ounces or 2½cups (670g)
- Granulated Sugar 1¼ cup (250g)
- Eggs large 6 (300g)
- Vanilla Paste or Extract 3 teaspoons (15ml)
- Sour Cream 1½ cups (330g)
- Lemon Zest *optional 1 lemon
- Graham Cracker Crumbs 2½ cups (250g)
- Granulated Sugar 2 Tablespoons (28g)
- Unsalted Butter 8 tablespoons (113g)
- Prepare the crust by combining the melted butter, graham cracker crumbs and second measure of granulated sugar together.
- Press into the sides and bottom of the prepared pan then bake for 10 minutes at 350°f
- Prepare the cheesecake batter by creaming the cream cheese smooth with the first measure of granulated sugar.
- Add the eggs slowly, scrape the bottom and sides of the bowl to make sure you do not get lumps.
- Add the vanilla extract and lemon zest
- Add the sour cream
- Mix smooth then pour the batter into the graham cracker crust
- Bake in a water bath in a preheated 350°f oven for 20 minutes then turn the oven temperature down to 300°f and bake form another 1hour and 20 minutes or until it is no longer liquid-y in the center but jiggles slightly like Jell-O
- Turn off the oven and allow the cheesecake to cool down while still in the oven for another hour.
- Remove from the oven cool completely then refrigerate overnight.
- Un-mold from the cake pan, invert onto a serving platter and top with cranberry compote