Just when you though the German Chocolate Cake could not get any better, I present to you a NEW RECIPE for German Chocolate Cupcakes!
For those of you who have already tried the original version and LOVED it, then simply use that filling to fill your cupcakes here, The End.
BUT for those who did not particularly care for using the egg yolks recipe and asked me for a different way to prepare the German Chocolate~ who loves ya babe?
And I LOVE my soft caramel recipe so it is a win-win!
A quick history of the German Chocolate Cake (or cupcakes) is that it is not from Germany.
After all I’m not so sure coconuts are native to Germany?
But this coconut-caramel-pecan filling has become famously known as: German Chocolate Filling.
Ok enough history! Now on to the CUPCAKES!
You will most likely have extra chocolate buttercream since ½ recipe is more than enough, I just find it difficult to make a ¼ recipe
This is a building on recipes project so be sure to prepare the base recipes of buttercream and chocolate cake ahead of time
- ½ Recipe Chocolate Cake
- ½ Recipe Chocolate Buttercream
- GERMAN CHOCOLATE FILLING FOLLOWS:
- Granulated Sugar ½ cup + 2 Tablespoons (125g)
- Sweetened Condensed Milk ⅓ cup (90g)
- Water 3½ Tablespoons (50ml)
- Corn Syrup ¼ cup + 1½ Tablespoons (107g)
- Unsalted Butter 3½ Tablespoons (50g)
- Salt ¼ teaspoon
- Vanilla Bean 1 Or 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Sweetened Flake Coconut ½ cup (50g)
- Chopped Pecans ½ cup (85g)
- Combine the sugar, water, condensed milk and vanilla bean scraped of its seeds and include the pod in a large heavy bottom sauce pot and bring to a boil over high heat stirring constantly
- Once it boils add the corn syrup and attach the candy thermometer and bring to 230°F stirring constantly
- Once it reaches 230°F add the butter and then bring to 240°F while stirring constantly
- When it gets to 240°F add the salt, remove the vanilla bean (or if using extract add it now) and then pour into a heat proof bowl
- Add the coconut and pecans
- Cool before filling cakes or cupcakes.
- Assemble cupcakes as shown in the video
If you do refrigerate it, be sure to bring to room temperature before serving
- Sweetened Condensed Milk ¾ cup (234g)
- Salt ½ teaspoon (3g)
- Unsalted Butter 8 tablespoons (113g)
- Egg Yolks 2 (36g)
- White Chocolate 4ounces (¾ cup) (113g)
- Sweetened Flake Coconut 1 ½ cup (150g)
- Lightly Toasted Pecan Pieces 1 cup (110g)
- Vanilla Extract 1 teaspoon (5ml)
- In a medium heavy bottom sauce pot combine the condensed milk, salt and butter together.
- Stirring constantly over medium - high heat until butter is melted.
- Add the egg yolks and melted white chocolate and continue stirring constantly to avoid burning the mixture (sweetened condensed milk burns very easily)
- Cook until the mixture reaches 170°F on an instant read thermometer and then add the toasted pecans, coconut and vanilla extract.
- Cool completely before using
Store in the refrigerator for up to 1 week