What other way to celebrate St. Patrick’s Day than with rich, dark luscious Chocolate Beer Cupcakes!?
Most people eat cupcakes just for the icing, but I find that this cupcake recipe can stand alone.
And as we all know, that is no easy task for a cupcake!
But trust me, once you take a bite of this rich, moist chocolate cake, you may just say, “To heck with the icing! Give me more CAKE!”
Here I am using my Italian Buttercream spiked up with Irish Creme Liquor and a bit of chocolate too.
You can certainly leave out the irish cream or use another icing instead.
As for the beer though?
Sorry, no substitutions since it won’t be a BEER CUPCAKE without the BEER! LOL
Ok Ok, I listed a non alcoholic variation below the recipe! (Just don’t call it a Beer Cupcake!)
Prepare your cupcake mold with liners, or grease your pans with Pan Grease
- Unsalted Butter 1¼ cup (280g)
- Semi Sweet Baking Chocolate 6 ounces (170g) (about 1cup chopped baking chocolate)
- Light Brown Sugar 1 cup (210g)
- Granulated Sugar 1 cup (200g)
- Dark Stout Beer 2 cup (480ml)
- Large Eggs 4 (200g)
- Vanilla Extract 2 teaspoons
- All Purpose Flour 2¼ cup (280g)
- Baking Soda 2 teaspoon (10g)
- Salt ½ teaspoon (3g)
- ½ Recipe of Irish- Italian Buttercream
- In a large mixing bowl or in the Kitchen Aid mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, combine the beer and the brown sugar, blend on low speed to incorporate.
- Meanwhile in a microwave safe bowl or in a small sauce pot on the stove, melt the butter with the chocolate.
- Add the melted chocolate/butter mixture to the sugar and beer and blend until smooth.
- Add the vanilla extract and the eggs one at a time, whisking between each addition.
- Sift the granulated sugar with the flour, baking soda and salt and slowly add it to the chocolate mixture while whisking on low speed the entire time.
- Once your batter is smooth, pour into prepared pans.
- Cupcakes should be filled a little more than ½ full
- Bake in a preheated 350°F oven for approximately 18-22 minutes for standard sized cupcakes.
- If you are baking in a bundt pan it will take closer to 55 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out with moist crumbs.
- While the cupcakes are baking prepare the Irish- Italian Meringue Buttercream then ice as shown in the video
Iced Cupcakes will stay fresh at room temperature for up to 3 days in an airtight container, or in the refrigerator for up to a week also in an airtight container.
A- “Brewed Coffee in the same amount as the beer.”
Q- “Can I make this into a cake?”
A- “Yes, this recipe will yield 2- 8” Layers or 1- (9cup capacity) Bundt Pan (adjust bake time accordingly – bake Until It’s Done)
Q- “Can I change just about everything you did and all of the ingredients you used because I don’t have any of those things, and still expect it to come out great?”
A- “Ummmmm. Sure, go ahead, it’s your sandbox, I just play in it.”