Ah yes, this recipe is a tell tale sign that Summer is on the way!
I actually heard an ice cream truck on my street last week! (But of course I’m in Florida so that is not too uncommon)
However it got me thinking that I really needed to show you all How to Make Ice Cream Sandwiches!
This is one of my FAV recipes and I’ve been making these for years.
You can use any kind of ice cream you like for these, OR make your own with my recipe!
Either way it is super easy and I know you will love making your own rather than buying them from now on!
This recipe can be made VEGAN by using Earth Balance Buttery Sticks (or shortening) in place of the butter and also use almond milk rather than whole milk (this is an egg free recipe)
¼ Sheet Pan is the size I used for this recipe
- All Purpose Flour 336g (2½ cups)
- Unsweetened Cocoa Powder 72g (¾ cup)
- Baking Soda 5g (1 teaspoon)
- Salt 3g (½ teaspoon)
- Unsalted Butter 168g (12 Tablespoons)
- Granulated Sugar 336g (1¾ cup)
- Vanilla Extract 1 teaspoon
- Whole Milk or Almond Milk ½ cup plus 2 Tablespoons
- Cream the butter and sugar together on medium to high speed for about 5 minutes until light and fluffy. Be sure to scrape the sides of the bowl for even mixing.
- Meanwhile sift the flour with the cocoa powder, salt and baking soda and reserve.
- Add the vanilla extract to the creamed butter mixture, then add ⅓ of the dry ingredients to the and mix just until combined
- Add half of the milk, mix just until combined
- Repeat these steps with the next addition of flour, the remaining half of milk and then again with the last addition of flour.
- Mix well until all ingredients are incorporated
- Turn the entire mixture out onto the prepared 9" X 12" pan and spread as evenly as possible to all edges.
- Bake in preheated 300° f oven for approximately 12- 15 minutes.
- The cake will puff up and have a dry looking top.
- Remove from oven and cool completely.
- Assemble as shown in the video