What do you get when you cross and Italian with an Irishman?
ONE AMAZING BUTTERCREAM RECIPE!
Yes folks this is my recipe for Italian~Irish Cream Buttercream.
This is the very same recipe I am using for my Guinness Cupcakes and Irish Car Bomb Cheesecake.
Yes, you read that correctly……
But let’s focus for a moment! Stay with me!
We have to prepare this buttercream before you can even dream about wrapping your lips around those bad boys.
- Egg Whites 7 large (210g)
- Granulated Sugar 2 cups (400g)
- Water 1cup (237ml)
- Unsalted Butter 5 sticks (1lb 4oz) (566g)
- Solid Vegetable Shortening 1 cup (226g)
- Vanilla Extract 2 Tablespoons
- Irish Cream Liquor ½ cup (120ml)
- Chocolate Couverture ½ cup (85g)
- In a large heavy bottom sauce pot, combine the water and sugar and stir over high heat until the sugar is dissolved into the water.
- Attach a candy thermometer to the side of the pot and continue boiling without stirring, until the sugar solution reaches 240° F
- Meanwhile in the clean bowl of your kitchen aid mixer with the whisk attachment place the egg whites.
- As soon as the sugar mixture reaches 240° F you can turn on the mixer to medium high speed to get the whites frothy and gaining volume.
- Once the egg whites are starting to get white in color and frothy and gain some strength SLOWLY, as fine as a thread of hair, begin pouring the hot syrup into the whipping whites.
- ALWAYS TAKE EXTRA PRECAUTIONS WHILE WORKING WITH HOT SUGAR SYRUPS!!!!
- Try to avoid splashing the syrup onto the whisk attachment as it is whipping the whites, or you will be making spun sugar as it hits the sides of the metal bowl!
- Continue whipping the whites until the mixture has COOLED COMPLETELY before you add the butter/shortening or you will have Butter Soup!
- Once the Italian Meringue is COOL TO THE TOUCH you may add the butter/shortening that is at ROOM TEMPERATURE to the meringue while whipping on medium-high speed
- Add the vanilla extract
- Switch to the paddle attachment and add the Irish Cream and melted Chocolate and mix until smooth