No matter what you call them, they are a staple in old fashioned bakeries.
They are not exactly rainbow though, since they are no where near the 7 colors in a rainbow.
Italian Flag Cookies are a good name since (if you do it correctly ~ umm, errr… not the way I did) the colors represent the colors in the Italian Flag!
7 layer cookie is also a good name since there is that many layers once you count the jam and the cake.
But for me ~ well…it seems I was making something completely different all along since my cookies have 4 layers of cake, 4 colors and 8 layers!
But they are Marzipan Cookies! So I’m kinda sorta on the right track!
The first time I learned how to make them was when I bought my bakery way back in 2005, and I just followed what was already being done and that was 4 colors!
What did I know!?
Well one thing I do know is that whatever you call them, no matter how many colors you use and whatever colors you decide you want~ it doesn’t really make a difference to the unbelievable taste of this authentic recipe.
This is, however, an expensive cookie to make due to the hefty amount of almond paste, in addition to their intense labor involved. But they are well worth it!
- Almond Paste 1lb (454g)
- Unsalted Butter 16 Tablespoons (226g)
- Eggs large 6 (300g)
- Vanilla Extract 2 teaspoons (10ml)
- Cake Flour ½ cup (60g)
- Raspberry Jam ¾ cups
- Merckens Chocolate approximately 8oz
- Red, Green and Yellow Gel Paste Food Coloring
- Soften the almond paste with the mixer to a smooth paste
- If it seems to be a little on the dry side, add one of the eggs to get it nice and creamy before adding the softened butter.
- Add the butter all at once and cream until all is mixed thoroughly, stopping to scrape the sides of the bowl from time to time.
- Add the vanilla extract
- Add the eggs slowly, one at a time, stopping to scrape the bowl periodically.
- Add the sifted cake flour all at once and mix just until combined.
- Divide the batter evenly between 4 bowls.
- One will remain white, 1 will be red, 1 yellow and 1 green.
- Spread the batter evenly in the pans and bake in preheated 350°F oven for 16 minutes DO NOT OVERBAKE or these delicate cake layers will be DRY!
- Cool completely
- Take the first layer of cake and spread ¼ cup of jam very thin and evenly.
- Top with the next layer of cake and repeat with the jam and the next layer of cake and jam until you end with the last layer of cake.
- Freeze the entire stack for 15 - 30 minutes.
- Slice the entire sheet of cake into 3 strips
- Each strip will be brushed with a very thin coating of Merckens Chocolate and then sliced into the size cookie you desire.
These cookies tend to dry out quickly.
Freeze wrapped well for up to 1 month