Old fashioned Lemon Bars
If you haven’t tried them yet you are in for a very sweet treat.
Lemon bars in my opinion are quite sweet but with a surprising tart pucker at the end!
This recipe has been with me for a very long time and was a best seller when I owned my bakery.
The shortbread base is a cinch to mix up and the custard, well it is so creamy and so lemony!
These little gems are typically served on buffet style dessert tables and cut into bite sized pieces.
The portions you will see that I made are actually quite large, but you can feel free to cut them any which way your heart desires!
Prepare your pan as shown in the video, but don't forget to grease it like I did!
- All Purpose Flour 3 cups (390g)
- Granulated Sugar ¾ cup (150g)
- Unsalted Butter 1½ cup (339g)
- Eggs Large 6 (300g)
- Granulated Sugar 3 cups (600g)
- All Purpose Flour ½ cup + 2 tablespoons (80g)
- Baking Powder ¾ teaspoon (4g)
- Fresh Squeezed Lemon Juice ¾ cup (180ml)
- Lemon Extract (optional) 1 teaspoon
- Lemon Zest optional 1
- First you must prepare the shortbread base, by combining the flour and sugar in the mixing bowl and blend on low speed to combine well.
- Add the room temperature butter all at once and mix on low-medium speed until it is all combined well.
- Turn out the entire shortbread mixture and begin to press very firmly and evenly into all the edges and corners making sure that the entire cookie base is very even in all spots.
- Bake the shortbread base for the lemon bars while you prepare the filling.
- The base will bake for approximately 20-25 minutes, until golden brown.
- Prepare the filling by combining all the dry ingredients including the sugar together in a large mixing bowl.
- Add the eggs and the extract and the lemon juice and whisk to combine very well.
- Once the shortbread base has baked completely, you DO NOT COOL THE BASE, pour the filling directly onto the shortbread in the pan.
- Bake for approximately 25-35 minutes longer, until the entire lemon filling is set, slightly puffed and there should be no signs of liquid custard in the center of the pan.
- Remove from oven, cool completely and then serve with powdered sugar.
I do not freeze lemon bars, but some people do. I have never felt the need to do so.
For the 12″ x 18″ Pans
- All Purpose Flour 4 cups
- Granulated Sugar 1 cup
- Unsalted Butter 2 cups
- Eggs large 8
- Granulated Sugar 4 cups
- All Purpose Flour 1 cup
- Baking Powder 2 teaspoons
- Lemon Juice 1 Cup
- Lemon Extract 1 teaspoon
- Lemon Zest optional 1