Lemon and Coconut ~ another perfect marriage of flavors!
I was going to go the classic route with this Coconut Sponge Cake and do all coconut buttercream filling & icing.
But I got to thinking about luscious tart lemon custard and well, you can see for yourself it was a wise choice!
The thing about the coconut sponge cake recipe is that it is a building on recipes dream come true!
It pretty much goes with EVERYTHING!
So you can be sure I will be back with more on that topic ~ but for now….. let’s get our lemon on!
So for those who need a visual go check out that video so you can see how to make it (it’s just subbing water and lemon juice for the milk but everything else is the same.)
You can of course make the lemon curd if you love it, but again this one is a lower fat version and with the buttercream icing here, I just thought we can save a bit of calories but maximize flavor for sure!
I think you will love this new custard just as much as you will love this layer cake!
- 1 Recipe Coconut Sponge Cake
- 1 Recipe Swiss Buttercream
- Coconut extract or Emulsion 2- 3 teaspoons
- ¼ Recipe Simple Syrup
- Sweetened Flaked Coconut lightly toasted 2 Cups (180g)
- Lemon Custard Recipe:
- Water 1½ cups (360ml)
- Lemon Juice ½ cup (120ml)
- Lemon Zest 1
- Egg Yolk 2 (36g)
- Whole Egg 1 (50g)
- Granulated Sugar ¾ cup (150g)
- Cornstarch ¼ cup (28g)
- Vanilla Extract 1 teaspoon
- Unsalted Butter 3 tablespoons (42g)
- Prepare all the recipes in advance according to the instructions on those pages, and add the coconut extract to the buttercream at the last stage of mixing
- To prepare the Lemon Custard:
- Combine the water, lemon zest & juice and half of the sugar in a large saucepot bring to boil over high heat.
- In a large mixing bowl combine the eggs, yolks and the rest of the sugar together with the cornstarch, whisk smooth.
- Once the water comes to boil pour it slowly into the egg mixture while whisking constantly.
- Transfer the entire mixture back into the sauce pot and cook over medium heat
- Bring back to a rolling boil and let boil for about 15 seconds.
- Remove from the heat and add the vanilla extract and the butter, stir to combine well.
- Pour the entire mixture through a strainer and directly into a shallow dish to cool rapidly.
- This custard must get cooled to at least 45°F in less than 2 hours to avoid the Danger Zone.
- Cool completely in the refrigerator before building the lemon coconut cake as shown in the video