Ah yes, it is that time of year again.
Time to roll out the roulade cake for the famous Yule Log.
And no Yule Log is complete without Meringue Cookies ~ shaped like mushrooms!
Now of course meringue cookies are not JUST for Christmas time, and I show you a bonus tip in the video on how to make this recipe into little nests.
Nests that are perfect for filling with lemon curd and berries for a refreshing summer time dessert!
Or just pipe the meringue into little blobs of crispy (fat free!) goodness for a treat anytime of the day (or night!)
With just 3 ingredients you will see how this cookie may become a staple in your cookie jar!
- Fresh Egg Whites 5 (150g)
- Granulated Sugar ¾ cup (150g)
- Confectioner's Sugar 1 cup (120g)
- Over a double boiler, in a large metal bowl whisk together the granulated sugar and the egg whites stirring constantly until the mixture reaches approximately 115 ° F and the sugar grains have dissolved and are no longer gritty to the touch.
- Pour this mixture into the metal bowl of the stand mixer with the whisk attachment and whip on high speed until it is thick, glossy and white in color.
- In the meantime you can sift your confectioners sugar
- Fold the confectioners sugar into the meringue as gently but thoroughly as possible
- Transfer to a piping bag and pipe desired shapes
- Preheat oven to 200°F and bake for an hour to 90 minutes depending on how long it takes to fully dry the cookies.
- See video demonstration fro how to know when they are done