The Mississippi Mud Cake could possibly be my favorite cake recipe!
Ok Ok I know I say this about ALL my recipes, but no, seriously! This cake is sooooo good!
It is moist almost to the point of being sticky-moist.
It has such a depth of flavor from the coffee and the bourbon!
In all my years baking this recipe, I have always used Bundt Pans, but it will do just fine in regular cake pans or in cupcakes as well!
Ganache icing to top this off and you can serve it just like that or with a generous scoop of ice cream!
Mine is decorated from Valentine’s Day but imagine green, red & white colored chocolate?
Or Green and White for St. Patrick’s Day?
It is a perfect blank canvas for any decor you can come up with!
Or if you want to make all cupcakes you will get 28 total by filling the liners half way
Prepare the pans with Pan Grease taking care to get all the spaces evenly.
Preheat Oven to 350° F
See notes below about the alcohol and coffee in this recipe
For Dutch Process Cocoa Powder: Use 3 teaspoons of Baking Powder instead of Baking Soda and Omit the Salt
- Unsalted Butter 2 sticks (16 tablespoons) (226g)
- Semi Sweet Chocolate 1 cup (5ounces) (168g)
- Granulated Sugar 1 cup (200g)
- Light Brown Sugar 1 cup (210g)
- Eggs Large 2 (100g)
- Vanilla Extract 1 Tablespoon (45ml)
- All Purpose Flour 2 cups (250g)
- Natural Cocoa Powder ¼ cup (24g)
- Baking Soda 1½ teaspoons (7g)
- Salt ½ teaspoon (3g)
- Strong Brewed Coffee 1¾ cup (405ml)
- Bourbon ¼ cup (60ml)
- ½ Recipe Ganache
- Colored Chocolate as needed
- Melt the chocolate and butter together in a small sauce pot and reserve
- Combine the bourbon, eggs, brown sugar, and vanilla extract together and whisk to combine well.
- Add the coffee and cocoa powder to that and then mix to combine
- Add the melted chocolate/butter mixture and whisk smooth
- Sift the granulated sugar, flour, baking soda and salt together and add the dry ingredients little by little while mixing on low speed until all in incorporated well
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan(s)
- Bake immediately in preheated oven at 350° F for approximately 55 - 70 minutes for the large bundt pan or until a toothpick inserted comes out with moist crumbs
- Cool for at least 20 minutes or until you are able to touch the pans with bare hands without discomfort and then turn out onto a parchment lined sheet pan or a cooling rack. (Un-molding too soon will cause the cake to break)
- Glaze with ganache icing
Mud cake can be left at room temperature stored in an airtight container for up to 4 days, they are best served at room temperature
(read: What is Cake for more clarity)
Store covered at room temperature for up to 5 days.
For those who avoid coffee….ummm…. It gives such a nice flavor to the chocolate I really recommend to use it….. just this once?
Ok…if not~ just sub in water 🙁