Another Egg Free ~ Dairy Free vegan cake to add to your Best Cakes file!
I am in love with this recipe for orange scented vanilla custard cake!
The sponge cake is so light with a tender crumb, scented with orange zest, a splash of juice and laced with Orange Blossom Water
The custard is made with a classic cooked custard base added to a silky tofu, vanilla bean and maple mixture that when it sets resembles a smooth custard perfect for the filling in this cake!
It is a pretty intense building on recipes project, but what amazing layer cake creation is not intense?? Greatness was never meant to be easy!
I added a splash of more orange blossom water to it at the end
Decorated with candles and confetti to celebrate my 100,000 subscribers on youtube! Woohoo!!
Gimme dat Silver Play Button Youtube!
Happy Milestone Day to ME! Thanks everyone! Without you guys I would be nothing! 🙂
Much love <3
- For the Cake:
- Cake Flour 3 cups (360g)
- Light Brown Sugar 1½ cups (305g)
- Baking Powder 4½ teaspoons (18g)
- EnerG Egg Replacer 1½ teaspoons (6g)
- Salt ½ teaspoon (3g)
- Hi Ratio Shortening or Earth Balance 8 Tablespoons (113g)
- Almond Milk 1½ cup (360ml)
- Orange Juice 2 Tablespoons (45ml)
- vanilla extract 1 teaspoon (5ml)
- Orange Blossom Water or Orange Flavor extract 2 teaspoons
- For the Custard:
- Silken Tofu 16 ounces (454g)
- Earth Balance Buttery Sticks or Coconut Oil 3 Tablespoons (42g)
- Vanilla Bean seeds from 1 bean
- Salt ½ teaspoons (3g)
- Cinnamon ¼ teaspoon
- Cardamom ⅛ teaspoon
- Maple Syrup or Agave ¼ cup (60ml)
- Almond Milk ¾ cup (180ml)
- EnerG Egg Replacer 2½ Tablespoons (26g)
- Granulated Sugar ¼ cup (50g)
- 1 Recipe Vegan Buttercream Your Choice Aquafaba Swiss or Regular
- **Add 2 teaspoonsOrange blossom water at the last stage of mixing
- Combine the flour, sugar, salt, baking powder and egg replacer in a large mixing bowl and blend well.
- Add the shortening and blend to an even but lumpy consistency
- Combine the almond milk with the orange juice and zest and the extracts slowly pour into the flour mixture while mixing on low - medium speed until all in incorporated, then increase the speed to medium and beat for 45 seconds.
- Pour into greased pans and bake immediately at 350°F preheated oven for approximately 20 - 22 minutes or until springy to the touch when you gently press the center.
- Cool cakes while you prepare the custard.
- For the custard bring the almond milk to a boil in a heavy sauce pot.
- Combine the egg replacer with the granulated sugar and add to the milk whisking constantly for 1 minute over medium heat to thicken.
- Next place the tofu, melted earth balance or coconut oil, salt, vanilla bean seeds, spices and maple syrup in a blender and blend smooth.
- Add the hot custard base and blend smooth
- Transfer to a shallow container to cool and thicken in the refrigerator
- Prepare your choice of buttercream as listed and linked above and add 2 teaspoons orange blossom water at the last stage of mixing
- Assemble cake as shown in the video or as you desire