Ok, so I basically took Libby’s Pumpkin Roll recipe! Am I allowed to do that??! LOL
Well, I DID!
Most of the recipes for Pumpkin Roll Cakes are using this recipe or one that is so very close to it.
It is essentially a Roulade recipe so that means it is foamed eggs that have a small amount of flour folded in, barely any fat (except from the egg yolks) and that’s about it.
Anytime you are rolling a cake, you have to be sure you are choosing a cake that is very spongy, very thin and have virtually no fat.
This is what allows them to be pliable and able to roll with out cracking.
With my white chocolate cream recipe as the filling ~ Well let’s just say ol’ Libby can go eat her hat!
Preheat the oven to 350° F
- In the mixer bowl of your stand mixer (or with a hand beater) with the whip attachment whip the room temperature eggs together and gradually add the sugar. Whip until you reach the ribbon stage about 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile sift the flour, baking powder & soda, the pumpkin pie spice and the salt
- Once the eggs have reached a thick ribbin stage add the dry ingredients all at once, and blend smooth.
- Add the pumpkin and mix to incorporate
- Pour the entire batter into the prepared pan and spread evenly.
- Bake immediately in preheated 350° F oven for approximately 12- 15 minutes oruntil done.
- (Cake will spring back when you gently press it with your finger)
- Cool completely and then palce in the freezer while you prepare the white chocolate cream listed below
The filled roll can be frozen wrapped well for up to 1 month
- 1 Package Jell-O brand Vanilla Instant Pudding Mix
- 2 cups Heavy Whipping Cream
- ⅓ cup Milk (any fat content is fine- I prefer a lower fat here since the white chocolate & cream have such a high fat content)
- White Chocolate 1 cup (170g)
- Whip the heavy cream with the instant pudding mix until medium peaks.
- Melt the white chocolate and then add the warmed milk, whisk vigorously to a smooth paste.
- Add the white chocolate mixture all at once to the whipping cream and continue whipping to just under firm peaks, be careful not to over whip as this mixture will get very stiff on its own.
- Spread entire cream mixture over the pumpkin roll and roll up as shown in the video