I confess I did not know there was such a wonderful thing as a Raffaello Coconut Praline until last year when I made my Ferrero Rocher Hazelnut Truffle Cake.
One of my awesome readers suggested I make a Raffaello Cake~ so here it is, my Raffaello Coconut Ruffle Cake.
This is a new recipe for Coconut Sponge Cake since many had trouble with my original Coconut Sponge Cake; I decided I better get to work on an easier more user friendly recipe and this one is a sure fire winner!
This cake is my new favorite in the coconut department and it is so easy to mix. The end result is light and fluffy and loaded with coconut flavor!
Whether you go ahead and add the coconut buttercream with Russian Ruffle Tips or not, and the piles of Raffaello Pralines to the top like I did~ I know at the very least you are going to love this new cake recipe!
I debated whether I wanted to put a different filling in this cake besides coconut buttercream, but when it was all said and done I am glad I went with the classic coconut layer cake style with just pure buttercream.
I did use all of the Raffaellos from the gift box I bought which contains 45 individually wrapped Raffaellos. I’d say by the time I ate about 10 of them I was left with a good 35 which was a perfect amount to go on the finished 7″ cake!
Phew! Good thing I didn’t keep eating them!
I just prefer the 7″ size, but take note that any recipe that is calculated to yield 2-8″ layers will also give you 3- 7″ layers.
Just be sure to divide the batter evenly among the pans you are using and you will have no trouble!
*Many people are not familiar with coconut emulsion ~ it is essentially a concentrated flavoring more intense than an extract. You can use coconut flavoring instead or leave it out altogether
I used Swiss Buttercream for the filling & crumb coating and American Buttercreamfor the ruffles since the Ruffle Tips work best with a super stiff buttercream like the American Style
Prepare your cake pans with professional bakery pan grease & parchment paper liners
- ½ Recipe Swiss Buttercream
- 2 teaspoons Coconut Emulsion
- ½ Recipe American Buttercream
- 35 Raffaellos for decor
- For the Coconut Cake:
- Unsalted Butter 8 Tablespoons (113g)
- Granulated Sugar 1 cup (200g)
- Eggs 2 (100g)
- Coconut Emulsion 2 teaspoon (10ml)
- Vanilla Extract 1 teaspoon (5ml)
- Coconut Milk 1 cup (240ml)
- All Purpose Flour 2 cups (250g)
- Baking Soda 1 teaspoon (5g)
- Baking Powder 1 teaspoon (5g)
- Salt 1 teaspoon (6g)
- Sweetened Flaked Coconut 1½ cup
- COMBINE THE EGGS WITH THE FLAVOR EXTRACTS AND WHISK TO COMBINE
- SIFT THE FLOUR WITH THE BAKING SODA, POWDER & SALT- RESERVE
- CREAM THE BUTTER WITH THE SUGAR ON MEDIUM TO HIGH SPEED UNTIL LIGHT & FLUFFY AND THIS WILL TAKE ABOUT 3-5 MINUTES
- AT THIS POINT YOU CAN SLOWLY ADD IN THE EGG MIXTURE AND BE SURE TO STOP THE MIXER TO SCRAPE THE BOTTOM & SIDES OF THE BOWL FROM TIME TO TIME
- ALTERNATE THE DRY INGREDIENTS WITH THE COCONUT MILK STARTING WITH ABOUT ⅓ OF THE DRY AND MIX JUST TO COMBINE THEN ADD HALF OF THE COCONUT MILK
- ADD ANOTHER ⅓ OF THE FLOUR AND THE REST OF THE COCONUT MILK
- FINISH WITH THE REMAINING FLOUR MIX JUST TO COMBINE
- ADD THE COCONUT ALL AT ONCE AND MIX JUST TO COMBINE
- THEN DIVIDE THE BATTER EVENLY BETWEEN THE PANS
- BAKE IN PREHEATED 350°f OVEN FOR ABOUT 20-25 MINUTES OR UNTIL A TOOTHPICK INSERTED IN THE CENTER COMES OUT WITH MOIST CRUMBS
- COOL COMPLETELY THEN ASSEMBLE THE CAKE AS SHOWN IN THE VIDEO