Lava Cakes certainly have not gone out of style and red velvet everything has surely made it’s way up to the ranks of classic pastry preparations!
This is the same recipe from when I was a student at the Culinary Institute of America many many many years ago!
This Red Velvet Lava Cake recipe is sure to get your blood flowing!
Of course if you do not want the red color, simply leave it out, and you will just have the traditional Chocolate Lava Cake
These cakes are meant to be served “a la minute” in other words warm right out of the oven which is what gives them their signature lava flow!
The batter can be prepared in advance but be sure to bake them just before serving!
Add ice cream for a really awesome hot / cold contrast!
- Unsalted Butter 7 Tablespoons (98g)
- Chopped Semi Sweet Baking Chocolate 60% cacao 1¼ cup (175g)
- Eggs Large 2 (100g)
- Egg Yolks Large 3 (54g)
- Cake Flour ½ cup (60g)
- Confectioners Sugar ½ cup (60g)
- Salt ¼ teaspoon
- Red Food Color as needed
- Melt the chocolate and butter together in a large bowl
- Add the eggs and egg yolks and whisk well to combine and smooth then add the food color
- Sift the flour, salt and confectioners sugar together and add to the chocolate mixture whisk smooth.
- Scoop the batter into prepared ramekins and bake in a preheated oven at 375° F for about 15- 18 minutes as shown in the video
- Turn out immediately onto a serving plate and sprinkle with additional confectioners sugar *optional
Baked cakes are meant to be served a la minute, and are not to be stored for serving later.