I am totally obsessed with Caramel.
Add to that a heap of chocolate and I have died and gone to heaven
I think I would bathe in a bathtub made out of chocolate and filled with caramel.
With a slab of this cheesecake for soap……
Ok, now I am just getting obscene.
But once you taste this chocolate cheesecake, you will understand!
I have been on a diet for the last 4 days.
And what better way to break the misery than with a nice slice of Salted Caramel Chocolate Cheesecake?
Brownie base and chopped pecans…. turtle cheesecake never tasted so good!
(You can definitely leave out the caramel part if you want just chocolate cheesecake, and the same goes for the brownie base, although in my opinion it would be a big mistake!)
This is a Building on recipes so be sure to prepare the caramel sauce well in advance so it can cool and get thick.
The brownie base will need to be prepared ahead as well.
Prepare an 8" cake pan with Pan Grease and a parchment circle fitted in the bottom.
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F
- Cream Cheese 3- 8oz packages (675g)
- Brown Sugar 1¼ cup (262g)
- Eggs Large 5 (250g)
- Semi Sweet Baking Chocolate 1 cup (170g)
- Unsweetened Cocoa Powder 3 tablespoons (18g)
- Hot Water 4Tablespoons (60ml)
- Vanilla Extract 2 teaspoons (10ml)
- Unsalted Butter 1 tablespoon (14g)
- Sour Cream ¼ cup (57g)
- ¼ Recipe Caramel Sauce
- ½ Recipe Brownie baked in 8" pan
- ½ cup chopped pecans *optional
- ¼ Recipe Ganache *optional for the rosettes and to stick on the brownie base
- First combine the cocoa powder and hot water and vanilla to a paste.
- Add the melted butter, whisk smooth
- Add the melted chocolate to that and whisk smooth- reserve.
- Place softened cream cheese in the bowl of your mixer with a paddle attachment (or with a hand blender) and cream it until it is smooth.
- Add the sugar blend well.
- Add the eggs one at a time and mix well in between additions.
- Stop the mixer to scrape the sides and bottom of the bowl to ensure an even batter.
- Add the melted chocolate mixture and blend well
- Add the sour cream last
- Pour batter into the prepared pan
- Bake in a water bath in a preheated 350° F oven for 15 minutes then lower the temperature to 325° F and bake for another hour. It will take approximately 1 hour and 15 minutes total.
- Cool completely at room temperature and then overnight in the refrigerator
- Un-mold the cheesecake onto the brownie base with a small amount of ganache "glue" and top with caramel sauce.
- Add thickened ganache rosettes, sprinkle with coarse sea salt and optional chopped pecans
You can freeze the cheesecake itself (without the caramel topping) for up to 2 months wrapped well