How is it that I did not share this Cheesecake Recipe yet!?
This is actually the recipe my mom always made while I was growing up.
It’s not really that different than my other cheesecake recipes since a cheesecake is essentially a baked cream cheese custard with eggs and often times some type of cream.
Here, the ratio of ingredients and a super duper large amount of sour cream added to this cheesecake make it the richest creamiest cheesecake you will ever taste!
I went the classic route with authentic graham cracker crust and of course piled it with giant beautiful fresh strawberries after it was cooled!
You can of course leave the strawberry topping off if you prefer, or use any other fruit compote instead.
Prepare the cake pan with pan grease and parchment paper
Preheat the oven to 350°F
Be sure that all your ingredients are at room temperature before mixing
- Cream Cheese 24 ounces or 2½cups (670g)
- Granulated Sugar 1¼ cup (250g)
- Eggs large 6 (300g)
- Vanilla Paste or Extract 3 teaspoons (15ml)
- Sour Cream 1½ cups (330g)
- Lemon Zest *optional 1 lemon
- Graham Cracker Crumbs 2½ cups (250g)
- Granulated Sugar 2 Tablespoons (28g)
- Unsalted Butter 8 tablespoons (113g)
- Prepare the crust by combining the melted butter, graham cracker crumbs and second measure of granulated sugar together.
- Press into the sides and bottom of the prepared pan then bake for 10 minutes at 350°f
- Prepare the cheesecake batter by creaming the cream cheese smooth with the first measure of granulated sugar.
- Add the eggs slowly, scrape the bottom and sides of the bowl to make sure you do not get lumps.
- Add the vanilla extract and lemon zest
- Add the sour cream
- Mix smooth then pour the batter into the graham cracker crust
- Bake in a water bath in a preheated 350°f oven for 20 minutes then turn the oven temperature down to 300°f and bake form another 1hour and 20 minutes or until it is no longer liquid-y in the center but jiggles slightly like Jell-O
- Turn off the oven and allow the cheesecake to cool down while still in the oven for another hour.
- Remove from the oven cool completely then refrigerate overnight.
- Un-mold from the cake pan, invert onto a serving platter and top with fresh strawberries
- Glaze the strawberries with melted apple jelly if desired
Freeze for up to 2 months wrapped well.