Presenting the Strawberry Shortcake Towers~ My adult version replica the Good Humor Strawberry Shortcake ice cream bar.
I seem to be on this kick lately about re creating all my favorite childhood treats!
And the Strawberry Shortcake was definitely in my top 5!
Here is my adult version that incorporates all those same childhood memories but kicks it up about 17 notches with a layered white chocolate mousse parfait complete with Grand Marnier marinated strawberries and Strawberry Chiffon Cake!
We can surely pretend to be all sophisticated like not that we grown-ups~ but your inner child is going to be doing somersaults once you taste these!
This is a pretty big building on recipes project but like all building on recipes projects they are usually worth it!
I have never met a building on recipes I didn’t like! (hehe I just like saying Building on Recipes)
I always do wish I had a dishwasher to help me with it all, but nonetheless these creations are #worthit!
As you will see in the video tutorial I am using PVC Piping to mold my desserts.
This is a common practice in both the culinary kitchen as well as the pastry kitchen to use PVC piping for molded food.
You will NEVER USE PVC FOR BAKING OR COOKING, however freezing and cold prep food is A-OK!
So go ahead and make a run to your local Home Depot and grab yourself some very inexpensive cake molds (you will find everything in the plumbing aisle)
I am using 2¼” diameter with a 3″ height.
Of course you can use professional stainless steel cake rings if you have them or prefer to buy them instead.
Or go the family style route and make this entire recipe into 1- 7″ Cake
Oh yeah, I use gelatin sheets quite often click here for more about gelatin and also the conversion from powder to sheets
For those who like to keep gelatin out of their desserts, click here for more about using AGAR in mousses and desserts and I also have a step by step video here for How to use Agar in a mousse recipe
The buttercream coating on the outside of the towers to stick the crumbs on is optional, you can use whipped cream if you prefer.
- ¼ Recipe Buttercream or Whipped Cream * no stabilizer necessary
- ½ Recipe Strawberry Chiffon Cake baked in a9"X13" pan
- 6 Golden oreos *optional garnish
- 1 Pint Fresh Strawberries
- 2 Tablespoons Grand Marnier
- 2 teaspoons Granulated Sugar
- FOR THE WHITE CHOCOLATE MOUSSE:
- Heavy Cream 1 cup (237ml)
- Gelatin Sheets 3
- Egg Yolks 2 (36g)
- Whole Egg 1 (50g)
- Granulated Sugar 2 Tablespoons (28g)
- White Chocolate Couverture 4 ounces (113g)
- Godiva Liquor 2 teaspoons (10ml) *optional
- Cut out discs of chiffon cake to the exact same diameter of your PVC or Ring Molds~ reserve
- Chop the strawberries into small pieces then sprinkle with sugar and grand marnier and macerate while you prepare the mousse
- FOR THE MOUSSE:
- Melt the chocolate and keep warm
- Whip cream to medium soft peaks and reserve in the refrigerator
- Bloom the gelatin in cold water let stand for 5 minutes
- Prepare the pate bombe with the eggs, sugar and liquor (if using).
- Whip over a double boiler until 170°F
- Add the bloomed gelatin and then add the chocolate
- Whip smooth and cool to 80 or 90°F
- Add a little of the whipped cream to lighten, then fold in the rest of the whipped cream
- Pipe mousse immediately into molds
- Assemble the rest of the cake as shown in the video