How about a yummy & cool snow day project!?
Well, actually this Sugar Cookie Puzzle Project is a really fun thing to do anytime of year!
But since it is just getting to be January and the snow days will be soon be here; I decided to make a Spring scene with flowers blooming and Mr. Sun smiling down on us!
And no cookie puzzle is complete without a cute little ducky and some fluffy clouds!
As I got to decorating this puzzle cookie I started to think of all the different designs that can be made with this same idea!
If I wanted to get super strict in my piping of each piece I could make this into a piece of edible art for sure!
But on this one I wasn’t so concerned with being perfect as much as I was concerned with having FUN!
So yes I colored outside of the lines, but my mistakes will be delicious!
You cannot go wrong with my best recipe for Sugar Cookie Cutouts, since this recipe will not spread and that is the BEST THING for cookie cutouts!
All my pieces kept their shape perfectly!
Royal Icing is the only other thing you will need and of course some creative ideas for you scenery with the cookie cutters to match!
I can’t wait to see what you come up with for your Playable Sugar Cookie Puzzle Project!
Get Creative, Have Fun!
And PLAY WITH YOUR FOOD!
For those who are curious as to why I have a watermark throughout my entire video CLICK HERE
- Roll the cookie dough to slightly smaller than the size of a half sheet pan (12"X18")
- It is best to roll the dough on a piece of parchment paper to make the transfer to the sheet pan easier.
- Using cookie cutters, cut the scenery out of the piece of dough in the sheet pan, but do not remove the cut outs.
- Bake in a preheated 350°F oven for 12 minutes.
- Remove from oven (but leave the oven on!) and as fast as possible re-trace the cutouts with a knife (as shown in the video) it is not the nest to use the same cutter to re-cut since the dough has slightly puffed up during baking and you may not get the exact cut as you did the first time.
- Put back into the oven and bake for another 15 minutes until golden brown.
- Remove from the oven and gently remove each cookie cut out and transfer to another sheet pan lined with parchment paper.
- These cookies will bake for another 5 minutes to be sure the centers are baked.
- Once every thing is fully cooled, you can start to decorate your scenery with the royal icing
- Let the cookies dry over night and then you can place them back into their spaces!