Homemade Twix Cookie Bars are the BOMB!
I’ll be honest, I wasn’t quite sure if I could pull it off, I mean c’mon~ it’s hard to beat that awesome little candy bar!
Well, I hate to break it to ya Twix ~ But move over Gretchen’s Bakery can take it from here!
Totally flaky, crispy and buttery shortbread cookie base, loaded with creamy vanilla bean soft caramel and chocolate.
Also known as the Millionaire Shortbread to my friends across the pond….. just to give those outside of the USA an idea of what we are dealing with here….
This is no joke, TWIX is serious business……
Now here’s one thing I found interesting.
I started dipping the twix cookie bars in tempered chocolate since~ that’s what a Twix IS right?
Fully dipped and covered in chocolate. But upon eating several (and by several I mean about 11) I decided that I preferred the taste of the lightly coated Twix bar better than the fully dipped in chocolate Twix bar!!!!???
Weird right?! I know! Especially me! The chocolate lover extraordinaire!
The fully dipped chocolate one was just too much and it overpowered the delicate shortbread and the creamy soft caramel that make up the entire EVERYTHING about TWIX.
So of course, you should try it both ways and decide for yourself, but whatever you do~ I KNOW you are going to love this recipe!
*PS- Gluten Free folks~ this works perfectly with Gluten Free Flour Mix
- For the shortbread
- All Purpose Flour 1½ cup (190g)
- Unsalted Butter ¾ cup (170g)
- Granulated Sugar ⅓ cup (67g)
- Salt ¼ teaspoon
- For the Caramel Layer
- Granulated Sugar 1¼ cup (250g)
- Sweetened Condensed Milk ⅔ cup (180g)
- Water 7 Tablespoons (105ml)
- Corn Syrup ½ cup + 3 Tablespoons (215g)
- Unsalted Butter 7 Tablespoons (100g)
- Salt ½ teaspoon (3g)
- Vanilla Bean 1
- First prepare the shortbread cookie base by creaming the sugar with the butter and salt just until combined, not light and fluffy.
- Add the flour all at once and mix just until combined.
- Turn the dough out into the prepared pan, the dough with be very crumbly and not very sticky, this is good.
- Press it into all the edges and roll it evenly. As you roll and press the dough together it will come together more than what it started out as (see video)
- Bake in preheated 350°F oven for approximately 20 minutes or until golden brown.
- Cool while you prepare the caramel as follows
- Combine the sugar, water, condensed milk and vanilla bean scraped of its seeds and include the pod in a large heavy bottom sauce pot and bring to a boil over high heat stirring constantly
- Once it boils add the corn syrup and attach the candy thermometer and bring to 230°F stirring constantly
- Once it reaches 230°F add the butter and then bring to 243°F while stirring constantly
- When it gets to 243°F add the salt, remove the vanilla bean and then pour into the cooled shortbread cookie pan, spread to the edges.
- Allow to cool at room temperature for at least 4 hours or preferably overnight (at room temperature) uncovered until it is completely cooled, then you can wrap it loosely with some plastic wrap
- Spread the top of the cooled and set caramel with tempered chocolate, once it sets turn the entire bar out onto a cutting board (gently to avoid cracking the cookie base) then cut into desired portions.
You can freeze them wrapped well for up to 2 months