Traditional carrot cake with walnuts, cinnamon and of course cream cheese icing!
This new recipe for Vegan Carrot Cake with Cream Cheese Icing is quite possibly better than my original Tropical Carrot Cake recipe!
How can that be true! I’m not just saying that!
I’m telling you this cake is super moist and loaded with carrots and even an addition of apple for more moisture and flavor and the spices in combination with a perfect amount of toasted walnuts is going to send you and your friends to carrot cake heaven! Vegan or Not! I promise!
I shared this cake with a non-vegan friend of mine.
This guy is “So not vegan” he actually told me the word “vegan” scares him!
He is just one of the many uninformed masses who think we are trying to pass off cardboard as dessert! Not so!
When he tasted this cake he literally boomed, “Gretchen! This is the most amazing cake I have ever tasted! How can it be vegan!??”
So I hope you too will get over your “fear of vegan” since it is nothing more than delicious, animal friendly ingredients that are much better for you and the planet!
This one bowl mix will make you a ve-liever in no time! (ok that was just bad)
- Vegetable Oil 1 cup (240ml)
- All Purpose Flour 1 cup + 2 tablespoons (140g)
- Cake Flour ½ cup (60g)
- Baking Powder 1 teaspoon (4g)
- Baking Soda 1teaspoon (4g)
- Salt ¼ teaspoon
- Ground Cinnamon 1¾ teaspoons
- Brown Sugar ½ cup (105g)
- Granulated Sugar ½ cup (100g)
- Ground Flax Seeds 3 Tablespoons (24g)
- Hot Water 6 Tablespoons (90ml)
- Vanilla Extract 1½ teaspoons (7ml)
- Carrots 4 medium (approx 2 cups 250g)
- Granny Smith Apple 1 medium peeled approx ¾ cup
- Orange Zest from ¼ large orange approx 1 teaspoon
- Toasted Walnuts ¾ cup plus more for garnish *optional
- Combine the flax with the hot water and let stand to thicken
- In a large bowl combine the sugars with the oil, vanilla extract and the flax mixture, whisk smooth
- Add the orange zest
- Then sift together all of the dry ingredients directly into the bowl and whisk smooth
- Add the grated carrots and apple and the nuts then mix smooth
- Pour batter into greased cake pans and bake immediately at 350°F in a preheated oven for approximately 25-40 minutes depending on the size of your pans. Bake Until they are Done
- Cool cakes while you prepare the Cream Cheese Icing recipe below and then assemble cake as shown in the video
Iced cake must be kept refrigerated but may stay at room temperature for up to 3 hours max
CREAM CHEESE ICING
- Vegan Cream Cheese 2 Tubs (2cups) (454g)
- Earth Balance 1 stick (½ cup) (112g)
- Confectioner's Sugar 2 cups (240g)
- Vanilla Extract 1 teaspoon
- Vegan Buttercream 1 cup *optional
- Smooth cream cheese and butter with a paddle attachment
- Add sifted confectioners sugar, blend on low just to combine
- Add extract then add optional vegan buttercream icing
- Mix smooth