Vegan Maple Bacon Donuts to the rescue!
Heart healthy and packed with maple bacon flavor! There is no shortage of that addictive smoky bacon flavor with this great recipe for Coconut Bacon from Cookie and Kate
The donut is a guilt free cake style donut so no frying here, but of course if you prefer this same flavors with a fried donut I have one here
I do have more variations on these donuts with sprinkles and chocolate glaze if you want more variety! Click here for assorted donuts!
But for now let’s concentrate on cruelty free BACON that is going to knock your grandma’s socks off!
- Coconut Flakes 1 package about 3 cups
- Soy Sauce 3 Tablespoons (45ml)
- Liquid Smoke 2½ Tablespoons (37ml)
- Maple Syrup 2 Tablespoons (30ml)
- Combine all the ingredients together in a large bowl distributing evenly and coating well
- Layer onto a sheet pan and bake in a preheated 325°F oven for approximately 10-20 minutes checking throughout baking and tossing to make sure it bakes evenly
FOR THE DONUTS BATTER
- All Purpose Flour 1¼ cup (156g)
- Salt ¼ teaspoon
- Baking Soda 1 teaspoon (4g)
- Almond Milk ½ cup (120ml)
- Brown Sugar ⅓ cup (70g)
- Ground Flax Seed 1 tablespoon (8g)
- Hot Water 3 Tablespoons (45ml)
- Coconut Oil Melted 4 teaspoons (20ml)
- Vanilla Extract 1 teaspoon
- Combine ground flax seed with hot water and whisk smooth
- Let stand for at least 10 minutes to thicken to a paste
- In a large mixing bowl combine the almond milk, melted coconut oil, vanilla extract, brown sugar and flax egg and salt and whisk smooth
- Add the sifted flour & baking soda and whisk smooth.
- Transfer batter to a pastry bag and pipe half way to the top into each of the cavities.
- Bake in a preheated 325°F oven for approximately 8 - 12 minutes for the mini's & possibly 22 minutes for the larger. When they spring back when gently pressed they are done
- Cool then prepare the cube fondant with the maple extract or 1 cup of confectioners sugar with 1-3 tablespoons water to desired consistency then add the maple glaze
- Dip in glaze and then in crispy coconut bacon