This Vegan Vanilla Cake with Aquafaba Coffee Icing is going to make you smile whether you follow vegan lifestyle or not!
Who doesn’t LOVE a super moist, super easy vanilla cake?
Loaded up with Aquafaba Coffee Icing~ Yeah… that’s what I’m sayin’
Listen even if you are not into Vegan Baking for the ethical reasons, you have to admit the price of butter and eggs over the last couple years just astronomical!
Not to mention tons of people have egg and dairy allergies nowadays so why not try a one bowl mix? (NO MIXER REQUIRED!)
Egg free, dairy free, butter free, animal free, cruelty free!
You guys should know me by now, I wouldn’t share a recipe that sucks, so you already know this cake is going to be da bomb!
If I cannot convince you for any other reason, try out the magical chickpea water a.k.a Aquafaba for a copy cat swiss buttercream icing that whips up to the fluffiest meringue you have ever seen!
The recipes for the cake & icing are as follows and I took it one step further and used some of my Cube Fondant Icing to make the decor on top (a couple tablespoons flavored with coffee for the striping design.
If you want to make your own pouring fondant just mix some confectioners sugar with a little water or a milk alternative to get the consistency you are looking for.
Chocolate Covered Espresso Beans are optional, but AWESOME!
Prepare 3- 7" pans (or 2-8" pans) with pan grease and pachment paper liners
Preheat oven to 350°F
- Cake Flour 2 cups (240g)
- Baking Powder 2 teaspoon (10g)
- Baking Soda ½ teaspoon (2.5g)
- Salt ½ teaspoon (3g)
- Ground Flax Seeds 2 Tablespoons (16g)
- Hot Boiled Water 6 Tablespoons (90ml)
- Granulated Sugar 1 cup (200g)
- Silken Tofu 1lb (454g)
- Vanilla Extract 2 teaspoon (10ml)
- Combine ground flax seed with hot water and whisk smooth
- Let stand for at least 5 minutes or up to 30 minutes to thicken to a paste
- Sift the flour, baking powder, soda and salt together into a large mixing bowl
- In a blender or food processor combine the sugar, tofu, flax eggs and vanilla extract and puree smooth
- Add the puree mixture to the sifted flour in the mixing bowl and whisk smooth.
- Divide batter evenly between the pans and bake in a preheated 350°F oven for 18-22 minutes or until springy to the touch when gently pressed in the center
Iced cake can be stored at room temperature for 1-2 days (in a cool room or the icing will start to melt) or for up to 1 week in the refrigerator
- Canned Chick Peas* 2- 15ounce cans for 1½ cups bean water
- Granulated Sugar 1 cup
- Vanilla Extract 2 teaspoons (10ml)
- Confectioners Sugar 1 cup
- Solid Vegetable shortening 2 cups (454g)
- Instant Coffee 1 Tablespoon\
- Hot Water 2 Tablespoons
- Semi Sweet Chocolate 4 ounces
- Reduce the chickpea water to 1 cup over medium to low heat
- Add the sugar to the hot liquid then cool completely to cold
- With the whip attachment of the kitchen aid (a hand beater will work but it will take a very long time) whip the aquafaba on high speed until it is thick and glossy and has firm peaks
- Add the shortening whip smooth, it will look curdled and ruined but this is normal, it will come back together just keep whipping
- Meanwhile combine the instant coffee & hot water to form a paste, melt the chocolate and cool before adding to the buttercream
- Add vanilla last
- Switch to the paddle attachment and mix on low speed for approximately 5 minutes to smooth