Summer time here in the USA means bushels full of zucchini in every supermarket and farm stand.
Back in my younger years when my family was closer together, several of my aunts, uncles and cousins had vegetable gardens of their own; so we would often get baskets of zucchinis delivered to our door weekly!
This kept my mom and I busy for days and we would then return those baskets filled with zucchini breads and muffins and the process would repeat!
I always loved my mom’s zucchini muffins. Lightly toasted with a slathering of cream cheese! Yumm!
Now that I have switched to a vegan lifestyle, I have adapted this recipe to omit the eggs and I am using flax eggs as a replacement.
Flax eggs are ground flax seeds steeped in alternative milk or water to thicken. 2 Tablespoon flax + 3 tablespoons water (or almond milk) = 1 egg
For those wanting to use real eggs- omit the flax and almond milk from the recipe below, add 2 eggs and proceed as normal
These muffins light & delicious, they are so super moist and slightly healthier than the traditional egg recipe with that addition of ground flax seeds.
Chris told me I was being “irresponsible” because I ate 4 of them as soon as they came out of the oven!
Woops! LOL I’m wreckless!
Next time I will double the recipe so no one (Chris) will notice when 4 are missing!
You may use a greased standard sized loaf pan if you prefer Zucchini Bread instead of muffins. Bake time will be closer to 35 minutes
Shred zucchinis with their skin, no need to peel
- All Purpose Flour 1 cup (130g)
- Baking Soda 1 teaspoon (5g)
- Baking Powder ½ teaspoon (2.5g)
- Salt ½ teaspoon (3g)
- Ground Cinnamon ¾ teaspoon (2.5g)
- Almond Oil ½ cup (110g) (120ml)
- Granulated Sugar ¾ cup (150g)
- Flax Seeds ground fine 4 Tablespoons (28g)
- Almond Milk 6 tablespoons (90ml)
- Vanilla Extract 2 teaspoons
- Chopped Pecans ¾ cup (85g)
- Shredded Zucchini 1¼ cup (225g) (approx. 1 medium zucchini)
- Preheat oven to 350°f (177°c)
- In a small bowl combine the ground flax seeds with the almond milk. Let stand for about 5 minutes to thicken.
- Shred the zucchini and fine chop the pecans.
- In a large mixing bowl combine the sugar, vanilla extract, oil and salt together, whisking vigorously to smooth.
- Add the flax "eggs" (or real eggs if you are using eggs) to the sugar mixture and whisk smooth.
- Add the shredded zucchini and chopped pecans.
- Sift the flour, cinnamon, baking soda and baking powder directly into the zucchini batter, stir with a wooden spoon or rubber spatula until everything is uniform.
- Distribute batter evenly to make 9 standard sized muffins
- Bake for approximately 28 - 35 minutes or Until They Are Done
For longer storage, cool completely then wrap in plastic wrap, freeze for up to 2 months